Saturday, April 26, 2008

What?!?

My son and I were pissed off one day about this place that kept calling us. We had called them back and asked them not to call us. It was one of the places I have a credit card with, and the thing was there was nothing going on with my card other than I had requested a new card and I'd received it, no problem. I am not behind in payments, I am up to date. However, I had just the month before, gotten a new card.
That's all.
Well, they kept calling us anyway, so I got online to check out the phone number they were calling us from and low and behold, tons of people were having a fit about them calling several times a day about stuff that didn't matter. I mean, they'd get a new card and they would start calling them three to four times a day, they'd cancel a card and they would call them three to four times a day, they'd pay off their bill and they would call them and etc.
These people were freaking out. There were blogs written about it. They talked about how they wondered if it was a form of identity theft...They were getting calls from this company about people that no longer lived there and so forth.
So I called the company and told them, "Hey, you've got people thinking this number, that is supposedly your number, is trying to steal their identities and freaking out and writing blogs about it."
The girl on the other end was indifferent. I said, "I popped this number into Goggle and got massive hits on it."
"Well, ma'am if you pop a number into Goggle you're going to get massive hits."
Okay, I'm not going to argue with this pleb, I'm just going to cut to the jugular.
"They're thinking these numbers are people trying to steal their identity."
"Well, if you're afraid of that don't give out private information." I took the phone away from my head for a minute and looked at it and then went back.
"Look, I've had my identity stolen before, and I will tell you something, it's one of the most mind bogglingly crushing things."
"Yes."
"Okay, I'm telling you someone is calling with these numbers, and I need you to go and tell someone. Can't you tell someone this is happening!?"
"Well, just a minute I'm going to put you on hold."
I'm thinking while I'm on hold, 'This is surreal. It's like reporting an ongoing homicide to the police and having them be argumentative with you on whether it's happening or not, or whether in fact, they should go investigate it.'
"Ma'am?"
"Yep."
"It's our number."
"Both numbers?" there were actually two.
"Yes ma'am."
"Then could you please stop calling me? People are freaking out because you're calling them six-seven times a day. The only reason I would I want to have you call me is if I have charges on my bill that are unrecognizable or you think that someone is using my card fraudulently. Clearly, I haven't done that. I simply needed a new card."
"Well, you had put a security stop on the old card."
Okay, here's the thing, I changed the card because of a company that wouldn't stop charging my card for a bill I paid for one month for my son, I had made it clear, twice, that it was a one time payment but apparently the company is run by monkeys.
"Yeah, but I have the new card and I already authorized it."
"Well, I can tell them to stop calling you for things other than security, but that's all I can do."
Muther of Todd.
"That's fine."
"It will take a month for this to happen."
You'reshittinmetheater.com.org
"Fine, fine, fine."
So I get off the phone and I start looking up a way to block callers. I find it. In the meantime, I kid you not, they called again.

No comments:

Caption of the moment

By Dirigo:


Meanwhile, in the Gulf of Mexico...

About Me

Blog Archive